Home > Futures Education > Introduction to Futures
Introduction to Futures
Opportunities abound in futures and options trading. Below are some free publications and links to expand your trading knowledge.
Futures and Options Trading Resources
- Trading Futures
An educational source for understanding technical and fundamental commodity price action
- Order Types
A description of the various types of orders and how to use them
- Futures Glossary
Definitions for many of the terms used in the futures industry
- Contract Specifications & Margin Requirements
Commodity descriptions, symbols, margin requirements, trading hours, and months traded
Videos and Presentations
- Transitioning from Stocks to Futures
This 15-minute video highlights the major differences between trading stocks and trading futures.
- A Guide to Understanding Opportunities and Risks in Futures Trading
A booklet that provides the fundamentals of futures trading for potential investors
- Buying Options on Futures Contracts: A Guide to Uses and Risks
A booklet that provides the fundamentals of trading options on futures contracts for potential investors
- More publications are available on the NFA web site...
CME and CBOT Publications
- An Introduction to Futures and Options
This 132-page book has been prepared by the CME Market Education Department
- Trading in Futures: An Introduction for Speculators
This brochure is an introduction to trading futures
- Action in the Marketplace
Provides an overview of the CBOT history, describes the workings of the market, and explains how futures contracts are traded
- Agricultural Options for Beginners
Gives an overview of the advantages of using options on futures, including common option terminology, and provides basic trading examples
- More publications are available on the CBOT web site...